Taking Care of Brazilian Hair Extensions and the Real Hair Beneath
Making the Most Out of Your Extensions
However, choosing the extension is just one part. To truly reap the benefits of quality and make it last as long as it can, you’ll need to exercise proper maintenance. Read on for advice on how to do this:
- Sleep in Silk - An Ebony article stated that silk helps in keeping the hair manageable and moisturized. Wear a silk bonnet or wrap your hair in silk scarves when sleeping. If you don’t want to cover your hair, you can use silk pillowcases instead. This is especially important if your hair is color-treated.
- Dry Shampoo - This is a must-have for any weave-wearer. It is recommended when in-between salon visits or if you simply don’t have the time to wash your hair at home. It helps in regulating the hair’s oil level.
- Care Products Based on Texture - Choose products depending on your hair’s texture: light conditioner for straight ones and moisturizing or detangling conditioner for curly or wavy hair extension.
Care for Your Actual Hair Too
Maintaining your extensions goes in tandem with caring for the real hair underneath. Black America Web, an African American lifestyle portal, presents some good advice:
- Not Too Long - The laws of gravity apply to hair extensions, too. The longer they are, the harder they pull your natural hair down, thus stressing out the roots of your natural hair as well as the bonds used to attach them. Be realistic with the choice of length when purchasing extensions.
- The Scalp Needs Oil - The scalp has a greater tendency of drying up when wearing extensions. Thus, you need to give it the moisture it needs. For this, use light oil and apply it to the scalp using a bottle with a long nose. Doing this once a week is enough, but twice a week is ideal.
Weaveology 101: The Best Tips for Maintaining Healthy Extensions!, Ebony Mag
Maintain Healthy Hair Underneath Your Extensions, Black America Web